In my previous post (part 1) I describe the temporary repair I made to the expansion tank pressure switch. However the pipe/nipple connecting the pressure switch to the water manifold is badly rusted and seeping water and just a matter of time before it disintegrates.
I want the repair to proceed efficiently and so I researched how to removed broken nipples – Bob’s plumbing video (how to remove a broken pipe) was very helpful. So prior to commencing the repair I bought and assembled all the tools and parts I would need – new pressure gauge; new pressure switch set for range 30psi to 50psi; 4″ long 0.25″ diameter brass pipe; an extractor kit for broken pipes; assortment of brushes to clean threads; rust penetrant oil; and my usual assortment of standby tools. And then off to the well head.
Caution – following involves working with 240 volts and can result in serious injury or death and should not be undertaken by anyone not competent in this area.
I first switched off the power, then removed dome and pressure switch cover and photographed the wires so I could remember later which were connected to which. With a tire gauge I measured the air pressure in the expansion tank – it was 45psi. I opened a faucet and drained the water from the expansion tank. Then I looked at the nipple and, as previously mentioned, it was in bad shape.
After dowsing with rust penetrating oil I tried gently undoing the nipple from manifold and it turned for a bit and then broke away leaving some pipe in the hole.
With my nipple extractor the rest of the pipe in the hole appeared to disintegrate and I then cleaned the female threads with brass brushes. While I was at it I also removed the broken water gauge.
And installed a new gauge and was disconcerted to see that somehow I had cracked the glass cover. I used pipe thread sealant and connected up the new pressure switch and pressure gauge.
And then switched on the power and watched the gauge rise to 50psi and heard the switch click open and stop the pump. Everything was working fine. I checked the expansion tank pressure with my tire gauge and it was 45psi. Mission accomplished.